Certified Farmers’ Market Job Opening, Palm Springs Cultural Center
Certified Farmers’ Market Job Opening
Job Description: Certified Farmers’ Market Associate
Reports To: Market Manager
Compensation & Hours: Part time employee, 20-25 hours/week, $20/hour. Potential opportunity for growth.
Primary Function: Assist the Market Manager in on-site operations of the Certified Farmers’ Markets of the Coachella Valley’s three locations- Palm Springs on Saturdays, La Quinta on Sundays, and Palm Desert on Wednesdays. CFMCV operates under the umbrella of The Palm Springs Cultural Center, a non-profit 501© 3 organization.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Assist with physical set-up and tear-down of the Market structure, which involves canopies, tables, sandwich board signs, and banners, among other equipment.
• Set up information booth with display materials, signage and other supplies.
• Handle basic vendor inquiries and concerns during set-up and throughout Market hours of operation.
• Conduct Market Buck token sales and administer matching fund transactions.
• Answer customer questions, resolve basic complaints and/or concerns.
• Assist with vendor check out and collection of stall fees at end of Market.
• Limited administrative tasks outside of Market hours such as printing, copying, and filing.
Desired Skills and Characteristics:
• A genuine love for farmers markets and the products and experiences they offer, with an understanding of the CFMCV’s mission to provide an economic platform for farmers and small culinary businesses and nourish the community with equity.
• Access to reliable transportation and other logistical needs to ensure consistent attendance.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to enforce rules in a respectful and kind manner.
• Ability to operate professionally and positively in a customer service position.
• Ability to multi-task and maintain a calm demeanor under pressure.
• Bilingual applicants preferred.
• Restaurant/service industry experience considered a plus.
• Able and happy to work early hours and on weekends.
• Able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs independently.
• Able to work in the elements (heat, humidity, wind, cold, etc.).
• Able to stand for long periods of time.
• Able to bend, kneel, slide, shuffle, push, and pull safely with 25 lbs. of product.
People of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people are highly encouraged to apply.